Saturday, January 5, 2013

Preparing the Bed

Hey folks, 
So what is the deal with seed scattered.com?  I was just now struggling with feeling like a blog slacker when it dawned on me that instead of scattering many seeds in the past month I have been preparing a bed right here at home.  In December I blogged about having a truly Christ focused Christmas so each night during story times instead of Jeff reading to Zack in his room while I write my blog, we read through Ann Voskamp's advent series in front of our Christmas tree.  It was a special time of preparing my son's heart for Jesus, and of giving Jeff and I a greater focus on the grace of Christmas.  The ironic thing is that through all of the reading instead of thinking of a babe in a manger this Christmas the thought that pervaded my mind was of a Saviour on a cross.  It just still amazes me that while I was an enemy of God, no good to him at all, He chose a horrible death on a cross to make me His friend.  That was the miracle I celebrated at Christmas, and I still celebrate.


 Above is our Gingerbread house display.  Jeff and I have been making these houses for 7 years and they get better each year.  Jeff covered his house in marzipan that he made.  The stone work is white chocolate, the river is sugar we made and poured.  Jeff's windows are also sugar work. 

I have also been preparing my home for our Home Study to become licensed foster/adoptive parents in our state.  Our Social Worker comes on Tuesday so we greatly appreciate your prayers.  I have been having a serious case of nesting with the reality that our season as Foster parents is quickly approaching. I completely redid the basement, put things in the attic with Zack's help (he loved it), and Jeff finished the deck he was making behind our house. 

Here you can see that Zack loves to help with the building, but to be honest, for only short bursts of time.

Jeff designed the benches and the whole deck actually. He is quite a carpenter!

So here at the Webb house instead of scattering seeds we are preparing beds.  We are preparing our home for children that we don't yet know, but already love. We don't know if we are waiting for a toddler, baby, or preschooler.  We don't know if we will provide a home for a boy or girl. I feel like I am preparing my garden with no idea of what to plant. All I know is that the preparing has felt like worship to me.  The idea that God has given us a heart to serve the orphan is a complete miracle. We really are selfish people, but yet God, He opens our hearts and gives us His heart. He motivates the work of our hands to prepare a place for one or two that we don't yet know.  I have never felt so satisfied in a clean basement or so energized by raking leaves.  I am overwhelmed by the invitation of God to love the orphan and serve the widow, this is our true form of religion.

Sweet friends, take heart, I will come back to you with a deep reflection on Scripture. You can be sure there are many passages that I am wrestling with at this very moment, but today instead of a study of Scripture, Jeff and I are living one out.  

Thank you to those of you who walk with me a little bit on this blog.  You have blessed me.  I know your prayers will open a way for us to see God's completion of our family.

And for those of you who are our home town friends and visit our house take heart, Jeff has created a bridge out the back door so you can step safely!

2 comments:

  1. I love this post! Preparing the soil is SO very important. I am praying for you and your sweet family as you prepare your hearts and your home for foster care.

    ReplyDelete